These instructions are for connecting Google Analytics 4 (GA4) to stores that are already connected to Google Analytics/Universal Analytics. If you are a new store or one that has never connected to Google Analytics, please click here for instructions on how to set up GA4.
GA 4 is the latest version of Google Analytics that is available now for new and existing websites to collect data on their visitor’s behavior and sales conversions. GA4 will become the only version of Google Analytics supported after July 1, 2023, so it is recommended that you begin collecting data in GA4 immediately. No new data will be sent to previous versions of Google Analytics after July 1, 2023.
By following the instructions below, you can begin using Google Analytics 4 with your BigCommerce store and collect data right away. Before beginning, there are some requirements that must be met in order to use GA4:
- You will need to create a GA4 property.
- You will need your GA4 Measurement ID.
- Your storefront must be using a Stencil theme.
- Headless storefronts are not supported.
- If your store is using Custom Checkout, your checkout script should be updated to support the Big Open Data Layer and GA4.
- Legacy Checkout is not supported.
- Your store must have a custom domain applied and your site must be verified.
- If the storefront cookie consent banner is enabled, shoppers must accept Analytics cookies for the integration to work.
- Select Web as the data stream type.
- We recommend keeping enhanced measurement enabled.
- You can skip Set up data collection for websites; the integration will add the tag automatically.
- Keep Enable data collection using your existing tags enabled.
Once added, you will need to find your Measurement ID. In Google Analytics, go to Admin › Data Streams and click on your storefront’s stream. Make sure you’ve selected the appropriate account and property at the top of the screen.
STEP 2: Set up Google Analytics 4 in Your BigCommerce Store
Go to Settings › Data Solutions and click Connect next to Google Analytics 4. (If you’re using Multi-Storefront, go to Channel Manager › Storefront Name › Data Solutions and click Connect next to Google Analytics 4.)
Enter your Google Analytics Measurement ID and click Connect.
Once connected, you confirm you’re collecting data from your store. Some reports can take 24-48 hours to process data from your store.
Scott Sanfilippo began his eCommerce journey in 1994 by co-founding one of the Internet’s first online retailers, TheFerretStore.com, which was acquired by PetCo in 2006. In 2001, he co-founded the eCommerce design and marketing firm Solid Cactus, which was acquired by web.com in 2009. Today, Scott is the General Manager of Your Store Wizards and lives in Delray Beach, FL. Scott can be contacted at email@example.com.