These instructions are for connecting Google Analytics 4 (GA4) to stores (such as new ones) that have never had a previous version of Google Analytics connected. If you are an existing store with Google Analytics already connected, please click here for instructions on how to set up GA4.
GA 4 is the latest version of Google Analytics that is available now for new and existing websites to collect data on their visitor’s behavior and sales conversions. GA4 will become the only version of Google Analytics supported after July 1, 2023, so it is recommended all new stores are set up using this new version.
By following the instructions below, you can link your Google Analytics 4 account to your BigCommerce store and begin collecting data right away. Before beginning, there are some requirements that must be met in order to begin using GA4:
- You will need to create a Google Analytics account.
- You will need to create a GA4 property.
- You will need your GA4 Measurement ID.
- Your storefront must be using a Stencil theme.
- Headless storefronts are not supported.
- If your store is using Custom Checkout, your checkout script should be updated to support the Big Open Data Layer and GA4.
- Legacy Checkout is not supported.
- Your store must have a custom domain applied and your site must be verified.
- If the storefront cookie consent banner is enabled, shoppers must accept Analytics cookies for the integration to work.
To set up analytics for your store, see [GA4] Set up Analytics for a website and/or app.
- Select Web as the data stream type.
- We recommend keeping enhanced measurement enabled.
- You can skip Set up data collection for websites; the integration will add the tag automatically.
Once set up, you will need to find your Measurement ID. In Google Analytics, go to Admin › Data Streams and click on your storefront’s stream. Make sure you’ve selected the appropriate account and property at the top of the screen.
STEP 2: Set up Google Analytics 4 in Your BigCommerce Store
Go to Settings › Data Solutions and click Connect next to Google Analytics 4. (If you’re using Multi-Storefront, go to Channel Manager › Storefront Name › Data Solutions and click Connect next to Google Analytics 4.)
Enter your Google Analytics Measurement ID and click Connect.