We’ve stepped into the final stretch of 2023, and guess what’s around the bend? Yes, the peak sales season of the year! If there are still items lingering on your holiday checklist, it’s the moment to tick them off.
With the consistent surge in online shopping, this festive season is gearing up to outdo previous records. More than ever, customers are turning to online platforms for their holiday purchases. So, ensuring your business is primed for this wave is imperative.
By this time, your 2023 marketing itinerary should be all set. This includes scheduled dates for email campaigns, social media promotions, exclusive sales, and more. The team handling customer service should be well-equipped to manage phone orders, live chats, email interactions, and other communication channels. And, needless to say, your inventory should be brimming with this season’s most sought-after products.
As the holidays beckon, here are some crucial dates you won’t want to overlook:
- Wednesday, November 22, 2023: A day to convene with your team and discuss final-minute preparations. Ensure promotional codes are set, sales pages are polished and active, and email promotions are scheduled. Come the next working day, the Black Friday hustle will be in full swing!
- Thursday, November 23, 2023: Thanksgiving. After savoring moments with your loved ones, steal a quiet moment to verify your Black Friday email is queued to shoot out first thing the following morning.
- Friday, November 24, 2023: Black Friday. The official kick-off of the festive shopping extravaganza! Although a significant number might hold off for Cyber Monday’s online bargains, ensure Black Friday enthusiasts aren’t left wanting. Serve them some enticing deals.
- Saturday, November 25, 2023: Small Business Saturday. Promote the “Shop Small” campaign initiated by American Express. This encourages consumers to support local businesses over large retail chains. Find more details on this initiative here. If your establishment accepts American Express, you might be eligible for complimentary marketing resources and a listing on their portal.
- Monday, November 27, 2023: Cyber Monday. The shopping fest everyone’s been eagerly awaiting! This is typically the busiest online shopping day, with the potential for record-breaking sales. Customers won’t just be on the hunt for fantastic deals—they’ll anticipate them. Reserve your premium offers for this day. Whether it’s free shipping, generous product markdowns, complimentary gifts with purchases, or other promotions, ensure they’re irresistible. And, remember to periodically remind your patrons of the offers through emails.
- Monday, December 11, 2023: Green Monday. Dubbed the last-minute shopper’s festival, Green Monday is December’s highest-grossing sales day. It’s the final chance for customers to order and receive their goods in time for Christmas. Use this opportunity to nudge the stragglers with enticing offers.
Other significant dates include:
- Thursday, December 7 – Friday, December 15, 2023: Hanukkah
- Friday, December 22, 2023: Many businesses may be observing this as a company holiday since Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday.
- Sunday, December 24, 2023: Christmas Eve
- Monday, December 25, 2023: Christmas Day
- Sunday, December 31, 2023: New Year’s Eve
- Monday, January 1, 2024: New Year’s Day
Anticipate that shipping carriers will grapple with a massive volume of packages, leading to potential delays—especially as Christmas approaches. It’s wise to manage customer expectations by offering conservative delivery estimates. Consider adding a buffer to usual processing and shipping durations to preempt any grievances arising from minor shipping hold-ups.
As always, Your Store Wizards is always available to help with any last-minute eCommerce store needs or advice to help you make it through the busy season. Feel free to contact us... and happy selling!
Scott Sanfilippo began his eCommerce journey in 1994 by co-founding one of the Internet’s first online retailers, TheFerretStore.com, which was acquired by PetCo in 2006. In 2001, he co-founded the eCommerce design and marketing firm Solid Cactus, which was acquired by web.com in 2009. Today, Scott is the General Manager of Your Store Wizards and lives in Delray Beach, FL. Scott can be contacted at email@example.com.